Filed under: General
@ 8:08 am
Yesterday I helped Jason Pittman pickup another 3000 gallons. The milk truck was filled to the top and there was still 400 gallons left in the tanks. The vacuum exchanger was dumping sap every 43 seconds - the highest I’ve seen. The sap ran hard till about 3pm and then slowed down and stopped at sunset. The weather was classic sap weather, sunny, high pressure, low of 24 and high of 42. The weather is to be the same today so we will get another tanker. Jim has a bus route to take the baseball team to Elmwood from 2:30 to six and I have bowling tonite so with a bit of juggling we should make it through.
I found out why we had zero pressure at the new booster. Heading downhill from the booster I found that the vacuum dry line had come apart in a location we had previously described as being damaged by a werewolf in years past. I had to walk back up the hill and head to the milk house to pickup supplies to fix the line. So back to the woods and down the hill - the line was fixed and then I headed back up the hill. Booster was only only registering 1 lb but that was caused by an old manifold hole being open further upstream on the old black line. We finally have consistent vacuum on the west side now. You can hear whistling caused by any leaks. so I fixed a few of those. I’ll go back again today to check it again. Also yesterday I replaced a star manifold at the end of the slough black line. We are finally getting everything up to 100 percent efficiency and having the highest possible vacuum by minimizing leaks.
Leave a Reply